Monday, March 4, 2013

Ya Heard.

I've been on my Frank Ocean grind as of late and was extremely pleased when I found that my other new favorite artist did a W O N D E R F U L cover of his "Thinkin Bout You" song.

If you don't know who Mr. Ocean is (pictured below)...it's ok. He is more of an unknown but he won a grammy or two this year (despite his less than stellar performance at the awards show which I'm still irritated about).

Ocean is kind of...how do I describe him... an indie rapper? I don't know...it's rap but it's not Weezy or Drake. He has received major support from Queen Bey and Jay Z (do they ever steer us wrong?) and he's openly gay which is sort of unheard of in the rap world. So good for you Frankie. Although I will say he's not for everyone. In fact I can name a few people that I know will really dislike his style. But hey, that's what makes the world go 'round.

Also I do have to say that I was disappointed when I found out he's not British. At the risk of sounding racist or naive I think it was the gap in his front teeth that had me really expecting (dare I say excited) to hear a British accent when he spoke. Kid's from New Orleans.... bummer. (Also this adorable pic with Adele didn't help either ok?)

Anyhow, my other discovery is a girl named Yuna. She's a Malaysian singer and a straight up g. But for real... love her. And I think she's BEAUTIFUL. Her music makes me want to do candle light yoga or online shop at Anthro. She is remarkably calming and who doesn't need calming in their lives right now? Thought so.

So I think you should check her out. You can thank me later.


Here is one of my favorite songs of hers called Decorate: 

 

And if you like what you heard, here is her Frank Ocean cover of "Think Bout You" which is particularly impressive because she recorded this live in her home: 

Well that's what's been bumpin through my speaks these days. Enjoy.

Xx,
Lo.

No comments:

Post a Comment