Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Over the Love.

Well hello there. It's been more than a minute since I had a minute to sit down and write one of these.

Since my last post I: built a website, graduated college and cried... A LOT. But we'll get back to all of these great achievements later.

Considering my pregnant pause from this blog that I love so much, I thought I would return with a post about my first and true love of music.

This was really a long time coming considering my Elle magazine's May issue was dedicated to women of music and had none other than the great Adele gracing its cover:

But what has truly inspired this post is a song I heard while watching The Great Gatsby. I know everyone is on the Gatsby kick and if you haven't seen it I'm sure you're wondering what the big deal is... and all I can say to you is go. Go to the nearest movie theater, pay the $10.75 for a ticket, sneak in some of your favorite candy and watch as one of my favorite pieces of literature is magnificently portrayed before your eyes. 

A lot of reviews have been more than critical of this film but it was honestly everything I wanted it to be. So go. 

That being said, I wasn't 100% thrilled with the music in the movie for the most part...however there was one song that really got to me. 

I have always been a Florence + the Machine advocate but I can't remember the last time a song in a movie made my jaw drop while giving goose bumps a home all over my body. Until this one.  



Florence has what I refer to as the "Adele factor." The stop-in-your-tracks and don't move, blink, think or breathe until the song is over kind of thing. It's a talent that puts what society calls the "it" factor to shame. 

Her voice accompanied by the most beautiful of instrumental arrangements is haunting and awe inspiring and frankly I just can't get enough. 

When I hear songs like this I can't help but wonder what artists like Selena Gomez or Ke$ha think when they hear it-especially in comparison to their own music. Not that I don't appreciate a good party jam that you can crank up and pretend you're in a music video... but artists like Florence and Adele  have the Selena's of the world cowering in the corner wondering when their 15 minutes of fame is up. 

When you hear their songs you can't help but think, "Now that... that is music." 

And everything else is simply nonsense. 

Enjoy. 

-Lo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment