Thursday, October 11, 2012

15.

This morning when I turned on my computer and opened up my Internet to CNN's homepage, I saw a headline that read: International Day of the Girl.

I clicked on the article for a few reasons. 1. I had never heard of such a day 2. Oprah was one of the women in the picture (love her) 3. The article's title read "To my 15-year-old self: Things I wish I'd known"

The link leads you to pictures of various, well-known, inspirational women of all occupations; Melinda Gates, Maria Shriver, Queen Rania Al Abdullah of Jordan etc. with a blurb of advice they would tell their 15-year-old self.

When I was 15 I suppose I was a freshman in high school. About to get braces and still settling into my friend group. I cringe at the awkwardness and unsightly wardrobe. Everything was so new-in both a scary and exciting way.

And now I'm 21...about to register for my last semester of college. It's crazy how much has changed and how fast time moves.

It got me thinking about what I would tell my 15-year-old self...

For starters: Everything is going to be OK. No really... it is.
-There are going to be some things that happen soon that will throw you for a loop... but you are stronger than you think and the support system you have is dynamite.
-Not every friendship you make is going to last. But that's ok...because only the good ones stick around anyway.
-And finally: You've got a lot of great things headed your way. So buckle down through the hard stuff and keep your chin up. Life is going to get so fun... you just wait and see.

One of these days I'll sit down and think "what would I tell my 21-year-old self if I could?"

I can't wait to see where life takes me these next few months/years. It's really overwhelming but then again, so was high school... And like I just told myself. Everything is going to be OK.

Here's to the past and the future,

-Lo.




No comments:

Post a Comment